Sunday, May 18, 2014

Bonsai, sort of

Last Christmas, Lucy gave us a small juniper bonsai. It looked a bit like the one in this photograph.
She remarked at the time that she did not expect it to survive. It held on for a few months, but then it became clear that our combined efforts had either failed to save it or had hastened its demise. Sadly I pulled the dry and brittle plant out of the ground and disposed of it.

But I had always wanted a bonsai, and I saved the small pot, the stone and other bits.

Yesterday I dug up a small cedar from our woods and planted it in the pot. I added some new moss as well. It is not nearly as nice as the shaped one Lucy gave us, but it looks pretty good sitting on the table out on the deck.



I don't think it will be a malleable as the juniper, and I am not sure it has much more chance of survival. But for the moment ...

1 comment:

Robert said...

I admire the patience and attention to detail that it takes to care for a bonzai tree.

I usually kill plants, so no botanist in their right mind should give me one. LOL