Wednesday, May 14, 2014

If you were able to come back as ...

A friend asked me in an email today, "If you were going to be reincarnated what / who would you like to come back as?"

My grandmother (my mother's mother) used to say that -- had she believed in reincarnation, which as a good Church of Christ lady, she did not! --  she wanted to come back as one of my mother's dogs. Or cats. Whatever, because my mother spoiled her pets so much. My mother no longer has pets, but she does a fine job of spoiling the neighbors' cat and even feral cats. And the occasional raccoon that she feels sorry for.

So it is tempting to say I would come back as someone's pet (cat, of course) and be spoiled rotten.

But then I thought maybe I should take the question more seriously, although it was asked in fun. So maybe I will give it some thought. I turn 64 next week. I suppose it is time to look back over the past six-decades-plus and think ...

If I could do it differently next time around (which is not at all the same thing as "what would I do differently if I were doing this time around again"), what/who would I like to be?

What about you?

6 comments:

Robert said...

I've always said that if I could comeback as anyone or anything, I would come back as Samuel L. Jackson.

He is one BAD man!

Michael Dodd said...

Robert,
An interesting choice. I see that his movies have earned something over seven billion dollars. So he is one rich man, too. (Not that he got all that money personally, of course.)

Moving with Mitchell said...

This question always fascinates (and flummoxes me). I don't know where to begin when considering the choices, but I usually end up saying I don't even want to think about it. If I DO come back as someone/something else, it's in other hands!

Sunny said...

Hmmmm.......I defo want to come back as a cat. Don't care whose cat. Just as a cat. They do as they please.....all the time.

Michael Dodd said...

Sunny,
Just yesterday I was looking at Sundance, who was being her usual superior self. I could imagine her looking at me if I told her to do something and saying, "Who died and made you the cat?"

Ur-spo said...

I find the notion of reincarnation rather appalling. Going from person to person like some cosmic hermit crab - sounds exhausting. I prefer eternal heaven or annihilation