Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sunny with a chance of learning

When Tom cleaned up the pile of seed husks under the bird feeder this spring, he piled some of it along the side of the drive. I think he had a vague plan of creating a compost heap. At any rate, recently we have been treated to sunflowers growing out of the decay, and it is an attractive and unplanned garden.

It reminds me of an article Sr. Vilma from Barrington wrote years ago, Meditation on a Compost Heap, about the way life springs up and creates beauty from things we had cast aside as nothing but trash. I admit that the pile of dried and decaying vegetation by the drive never looked attractive to me. Now, however, it is a bright spot in the yard and in my day.

BTW, the forecast gives us an 80% chance of thunderstorms this evening. We may need all the spots of light we can get!

2 comments:

Sunny said...

You know- Sunflowers have never been one of my favorite flowers- altho they were my Dad's(along with poppys).But those actually look really sweet!!! I've been thinking about making a compost bin- my daddy used to have one. Amazing what beauty can come out of the waste......that is SO true.........wonder if maybe a money tree will grow out of one?
Wouldn't THAT be nice?

Michael Dodd said...

I would be open to a money tree. Do you throw out loose change to get one of those to grow?