Friday, August 21, 2009

This weekend is the 46th Annual Badger Steam & Gas Engine Show, Wisconsin's largest exhibit of early American steam-powered and gas-powered equipment. Tom likes to go look at the old tractors. I always expect his intrinsic frugality to break down and let him bring one home to put out front and decorate with who-knows-what. We usually get some cedar chips or pieces from the sawmill exhibit, and I like the flea market.

I couldn't go last year due to work, but this year I am off on Fridays and free to go. Unfortunately the morning began with rain followed by rain and the occasional break for drizzle. I decided that we weren't going to make it to the show and took off for Baraboo to get the mail for the District, part of my duties as treasurer. I picked up the mail, which included a couple of checks, and made a deposit. Then I brought my spreadsheet up to date in preparation for next Wednesday's meeting.

I also somehow managed to make three trips to the library: one, to drop off some books I am donating to the book sale; two, to pick up a couple of items that had come in for me from other libraries; and three, to take Tara a pair of bib overalls and a couple of straw cowboy hats for a hoedown [her word] that she will be attending over Labor Day. I don't know if she intends to wear both hats or give one to her husband.

After all that, I settled down to read a novel by Gore Vidal, but Tom and Peter were both a bit restless and wanted to give the steam and gas show a shot. It had stopped raining, so we headed out. It was okay -- the aisles between the stalls at the flea market were very muddy and in some places huge puddles. I didn't buy anything or even see anything I regret not having bought. Tom bought a belt from a guy that he buys a belt from just about every year. The weather stayed ominous throughout, although no rain fell while we were there. That photo up there is from last year when the weather was nicer. As you can see, they get quite a turnout. For a rainy Friday, it was a respectable crowd today.

Now we are home, getting ready to head out for a fish fry for dinner. For some reason, I have NO energy -- possibly due to the weather and this being the end of my "weekend". Maybe I'll perk up tomorrow.
----------
It is supposed to go down to 47 (8.3 C) tonight. This is August?

No comments: