Friday, February 5, 2010

Post-Groundhog's Day Post

When I started at the library, I said I would probably start whining by Groundhog's Day. Well, here it is, a few days after Punxatawney Phil decided we would have six more weeks of winter -- no news to us here in Wisconsin, although our local groundhog did not see his shadow -- and I am not whining yet. I am relaxing into the job, find that I now know how to do most of the things I need to do and people are happy to help prompt me on the ones I have yet to master. I have received two paychecks and my health insurance cards, and I am loving that. So it is going well.

On a sad note, Ruth DeMelo, a friend from my Rhode Island days died this past weekend. She was 80 and had been in poor health for some time. Ruth volunteered at the monastery in Barrington by answering the door and phone for the nuns most days, and she did a lot of other things for them. She was a sweet woman and generous with her time and energy, although her financial resources were limited. I know the nuns will miss her steady presence and help.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Yay for health insurance! I use mine so much, its pathetic. Blue Cross MUST hate me. But I work hard for it so I'm going to use it. :-)