Monday, May 17, 2010

Bambi

Yesterday morning while I was on the phone with Mama and Daddy, Tom called me to the dining room to show me a doe in the back yard. She was nibbling away at one of the small beds of flowers and things out back and seemed unperturbed by our observations. We see deer in the backyard from time to time, but this one was pretty close to the house.

In the afternoon, our friend Marty brought her daughter by to meet us and while we were sitting at the table, the doe showed up again. Tom had just brought her to our attention when a small fawn jumped up from the day lily bed in the middle of the yard, ran over and began nursing. We don't know how long the fawn had been there, but Cassidy had been prowling and poking around that bed much of the afternoon. This was the smallest, youngest fawn I have ever seen, certainly in the wild. Maybe the doe had put her there and gone off to forage for a while. After five minutes or so, the doe wandered off slowly with the fawn at her heels. It was really cool.

Tom got pictures and some video, and I may be able to post a non-Disney image later. Now we are waiting to see if they show up again.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I love deer although they are filthy creatures...still beautiful though. I hate when I see my old high school friends on facebook holding up a dead one they shot.

I hate it!