Sunday, August 22, 2010

Animal antics

On the way back from Madison today (after escaping from some awesomely reckless driver who almost plowed into us just outside Baraboo), we noticed that the fields along the roads and the roads themselves were swarming with little yellow butterflies. It seems they are called Clouded Sulfurs or Clouded Yellows. Something set them off -- the temperature, the humidity, whatever. But it was rather amazing.

Tom went into the Dells after dinner for a meeting, but I decided to stay home. When I went to let Cassidy out onto the deck, there was a small herd (family?) of deer chomping away at the weeds down by the treeline. Tom put some corn out for them recently, which may be why they are so bold. I took some photos, but my camera doesn't zoom enough for me to get a decent shot. Surprisingly, although they looked up when I slid the door open, they did not run away while I tried to get a picture.

No comments: