Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My latest publication [UPDATED]

Well, I didn't write all of it. In fact, I only contributed one recipe to be found on page37: Chicken Enchiladas Suizas Casserole. It is a simplified version of the wonderful enchiladas I used to eat in Mexico City at the restaurant in the Casa de Azulejos. (Click on that link for more of the background.)If you want the recipe, you can email me or you can buy the book.

This is your typical fund-raiser cookbook, the kind you associate with churches and other non-profits. Mama has (or used to have) a huge collection of these, and I loved to flip through them when I was visiting. This one was put together by the local American Legion Auxiliary Unit 187. How did I wind up in there? My boss is part of the Auxiliary and she asked the staff if anybody had recipes to share. I have several that I thought were fund-raiser-cookbook-worthy, but this is the one that guests always like best.

I wasn't sure that the recipe would be accepted -- not because it is from Mexico but because it does not include cream of mushroom soup, an almost indispensable item in most recipes in books of this sort. I suppose you could add a can of it if you wanted to.

But as Richard Nixon famously said, "It would be wrong."

UPDATE: Flipping through the cookbook, I discovered on page 13 that I had also given them a recipe for what I call Archangel's Salad. Named, natch, for the Archangel Michael.

No comments: