Friday, August 20, 2010

Beach Boys

A month or so back, Tom and I decided to take our doctor's advice seriously and get on a low glycemic diet (or eating plan). I did some research and thought that one way to approach this was to go first on the South Beach Diet as a transition. The first phase of that diet is supposed to help get rid of cravings and make the move to eating regularly according to the glycemic index easier. To make it easier on himself as the main cook (I am the bottle washer), Tom decided to go that route as well.

It was a bit tedious at first, but after a couple of weeks we were both so pleased with the results that we decided to stick to the stricter phase 1 program a bit longer before moving on. Things are still going well and it has become easier to get some variety into meals. (I am not going to tell you about all that, don't worry!)

Anyway, I did not weigh when we began, but the other day I took the plunge and was delighted to see that I have lost 20 pounds since I saw the doctor in March. That is about what he wanted me to lose, and I am very happy. I feel better, of course, and my clothes fit better.

I don't know if Tom has weighed, but I know he is pretty satisfied with how it's working for him. Tom, of course, is one of those tall,slender people who thinks an inch or two gained in his waist constitutes a pot belly. He is six feet tall and wears 34 inch waist pants. Yeah, that's a problem. So he adapts the plan to his own needs while I try to adhere more closely to the guidelines. Whatever works!

At any rate, that's the update on the (South) Beach (Diet) Boys. One good thing is that I don't have cravings for forbidden stuff any longer, and I expect that careful attention will make it possible to eat well without getting too weird. We have even discovered how to eat out and stay on track.

No comments: