Sunday, April 13, 2008

Hidden Dells

Now that the weather is changing, I have been online looking for a picture to represent the Dells in the spring. No luck so far, but I did run across this fantastic picture of a giant red shoe that sits in a field not far from where we live. About ten or twelve feet high, apparently it is a leftover from some children's park from days gone by. And the field looks about like that right now, snow melted but nothing green yet. Later in the summer, the shoe will be almost completely hidden by weeds and growth.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

diana0624 said...

Every Feb/March we head up to the Dells for a weekend waterpark getaway. Quite by accident, we drove by this crazy red shoe several years ago. Now, we make a special trip every year to drive by the crazy red shoe. I see from your post, that it is from some theme park that no longer exists. I was wondering what else you could tell me about the big red shoe. What was the name of the theme park? Why was the shoe left behind? My kids LOVE the big red shoe...we finally took a picture of it this year (after about 5 years of seeing it).

diana0624 said...

Every Feb/March we make a trip to the Dells for a weekend waterpark getaway. On our first trip (2005) we accidentally drove by the giant red shoe. My son (and honestly, all 4 adults that were with us) were intrigued by the shoe. Every year, we drive by the shoe and wonder. This year, we stayed somewhere different (and not as close to the shoe), but we had to make a special trip on our way out of town to drive by the crazy red shoe. My kids LOVE it. For the first time, we took a picture of it. I see from your blog that it is a leftover from an old theme park. I was wondering what else you could tell me about the shoe. What was the name of the original theme park? Why was the shoe left behind? Was the shoe part of a larger statue? Is it well-known in the Dells (I could find no other info online about it other than your blog).