Friday, August 31, 2012

(Thursday night and) Friday so far ...


Michelangelo arrived safely last night around 6:30 -- exactly when he had predicted. Tom grilled chick-a-bobs and made a Greek salad. We caught up over a nice meal until the power decided to go out. We called it in, finished dinner, and Michelangelo and I drank some recently-brewed decaf while Tom lit a number of the oil lamps we keep ready for just this contingency. The power company said we should have power back by ten, and we took off for Culver's for some frozen custard and the comfort of electric lights and working plumbing. By the time we got back, the lights were on and all was well.

This morning Tom did one of his I-Am-The-Host power breakfasts -- scrambled eggs, bacon, buttered toast and jams, including some delicious grape jam that Peggy had given us.(Thanks, Peg!) After lounging about for a bit, we went to the library so that Michelangelo could enjoy Tom's art installation and I could pick up four books that I had requested on interlibrary loan. We also paid a visit to the little railroad and took the noon train to Western Springs and back. It has been a while since I rode the train and I had forgotten just how pretty the scenery is along the mile-and-a-half route. They couldn't run the steam, of course, due to the drought. But we had a good time. Back to the house for lunch and rest and made reservations for a fish fry tonight in town.

Michael A (that is how I am going to refer to him henceforth, because it is just easier) asked if my book was available on Kindle, and I assured him that it was, belatedly gifting him with autographed copies of the mystery and the Elijah book. [It is particularly embarrassing that I had neglected to give him a copy of Elijah and the Ravens of Carith because he is one of the people I mentioned in the dedication. Doh!] This made me check online to see if I had sold any of the books on Kindle -- they just became available there this past month -- and was surprised/pleased to see that I had sold three (3) Kindle copies of the mystery. Keep your eyes on that New York Times Bestseller List! Those royalties will buy me maybe three gallons of gas.

Tomorrow is cow chips and parades. Ah, life in the fast lane in rural Wisconsin!

No comments: