Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What do you do?


I read a book the other day -- okay, it was a very short book -- about retirement. One of the things it mentioned was that when you tell someone you are retired, they will most likely ask, "What do you do?" The response the author recommended: "Plenty."

I thought of that today because I went to the library to meet a Mexican  woman who had asked for help learning to use the computer. I met her son when I worked on the bookmobile, and she often comes into the library. I  always said hello to Pedro and she began to talk to me. At that time I was able to help her find someone to tutor her in English. So when she wanted to learn something about the computer, she came to the library looking for my help. I was already retired, but the librarians got in touch with me and we set up today's appointment. Turns out she knows nothing -- not even how to turn on the computer they have at home. So this will involve a little time

But when we were getting set up, she asked how I was enjoying my vacation. I explained that I was not on vacation but had retired. She looked puzzled. "You don't work? Then what do you do?"

I looked at her and said, "Well, I do this. I help people who need someone to show them how to use the computer. And I write. And ..." I suppose I could have said, "I read books about being retired."

Anyway, there I was in the very midst of doing something with and for her and she couldn't figure out what I was doing in my retirement. In the future, I'll just say, "Plenty", and move on. As it turns out, we have already set up another session for Friday. I will probably wind up meeting with her at least twice a week for a while. After Labor Day I will also be returning to the library as a volunteer. I already talked to the director and got that set up. So my time is filling up very nicely, thank you. But at least is it my time.

It does remind me though of the volunteer at the library who asked, when she heard that I planned to retire, what I was going to do. I told her I had four books that I wanted to finish. To me this sounded pretty respectable, and it has the added value of being one of the main goals I have set for my retirement. The volunteer was clearly not impressed. It was not until I overheard her talking to someone else that I realized she thought I meant I had four books I wanted to finish reading.

No comments: