Sunday, January 13, 2013

It's back!

This afternoon when I looked outside, the pileated woodpecker was back on the feeder. I tried to get a photo, but it flew off into the trees. Tom came back in a few minutes later, and I told him what had happened.

He got his camera and waited patiently by the deck door for the bird to return, then snapped some shots before it flew off again.

So here is a photo of one of the actual birds that lives around here. To give you an idea of the size of the bird, the suet box it is perched on is about 6 inches by 6 inches.

4 comments:

Jeffrey said...

My dad has a pileated woodpecker (and a family of Bard owls plus a flock of wild turkeys) on his place in FL. I just thought this was a regular ole woodpecker! Cool :-)

Michael Dodd said...

I had never seen a pileated woodpecker before coming up here. In fact, as a kid I always thought Woody Woodpecker was a red-headed woodpecker, just with an exaggerated head for cartoon purposes.

Here we have pileated, downey, hairy, red-bellied and red-headed. Plus an owl.

Jeffrey said...

Cool :-)

Sank said...

Nice. My favorite bird in our woods. I see them from afar all the time, usally on the wing, but they're quite shy and notriously hard to photograph. Nice picture.