Monday, January 14, 2013

Up, up and away in my beautiful balloon ...

Got my health insurance bill for February today. Turns out my insurance premium went up 12% this year. Since in December, they billed me for January under the old rate, this time I have to pay for what I did not pay in January as well as the increase for February. That means this month (only) I will be paying 24% more than I had expected. All this came without any prior communication from my insurer nor was there any explanation included with the bill today. I had to figure it out. Thank goodness for calculators! There is a section of the bill labelled  Important message about your account: What did it say? "Thank you for your business."

This is a pain, of course, but for me it doesn't mess up my budget too much. On the other hand, I feel bad for people who are just now trying to sort out how much they spent on Christmas, only to discover that -- surprise, surprise! -- they owe 24% more than they expected for insurance this month.

And we're the lucky ones -- we have health insurance! I didn't have any for about four years, and that was no picnic. I guess now it's my turn to pay for the sandwiches. Too bad they are mostly baloney.

No comments: