Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Reality check

I made it safely back to Wisconsin yesterday afternoon. The weather along the way was not too bad, and I made good time. I was pretty exhausted, though, a sign that I will soon by 64 and that it is beginning to feel like it. I have to be at work tomorrow (tutoring in the morning, library in the afternoon) and am glad I gave myself a buffer day to relax a bit after the drive.

One thing waiting for me on my return was my share of some sort of class-action settlement with Barnes & Noble having to do with Nook. Not sure what it was, but it seems some people were overcharged for something and I was apparently one of those people. I had been notified that I would receive the check and it arrived while I was in Texas.

My share of this big payoff? Seventy-three cents. So I have a check made out for $0.73 and have to deposit that in the bank. I could ask them to cash it, but I don't want to look a teller in the face about this. So I am tucking it into a deposit with a couple of other checks to hide the absurdity.

For the record, my books are available on Amazon in print and Kindle versions and also at Barnes & Noble (online only) in print and Nook versions. Looking back over the past couple of years, I see a consistent pattern. I sell more in a month -- way more -- on Amazon (print and Kindle) than I do on B&N (print and Nook) in a year. I don't market them actively in either place. Draw your own conclusions.

5 comments:

Sunny said...

I think Pauls last royalty check was about the same as yours Michael.

I think he told them to stash the royalties until they reached at least £20 before sending them too. Cost more to print, mail , then take them to be deposited than they were worth!

Lawd,..its a process.

Michael Dodd said...

This was not a royalty check. This one was for some sort of legal settlement having to do with things I had purchased.

I have a deal with Nook similar to Paul's, where they don't send royalties until they hit a certain level. But I can track sales even before then, which is how I know how poor my record is with them.

Sigh!

Michael Dodd said...

PS -- Kindle, Amazon and Barnes & Noble do a direct deposit for me, so they don't have to cut a check. Amazon/Kindle has started depositing money even in smaller amounts. Which means it trickles in. I don't have to wait for it, but it doesn't look as impressive when it is a few bucks each month instead of a heftier check every few months.

Moving with Mitchell said...

When we've moved, we've received final bills for less than one dollar. And if we don't send a check, we would receive threats for collection. When we left California three years ago, one of the utilities phoned us twice to demand payment of our final 43 cents.

Michael Dodd said...

When I left St. Louis University, Mitchell, I had a similar experience with the bank over twenty cents. They (the computer, obviously) sent three letters costing them close to a dollar trying to collect and then threatening me with a collection agency. A sister friend went to the bank and gave them twenty cents to get them off my back. And that happened because the teller made an error when I closed my account. She claimed I had twenty more cents than my checkbook showed, so she gave the the twenty cents they were trying to get back.