Tuesday, June 17, 2014

On this day


Today is the twentieth anniversary of the famous O.J. Simpson car chase. I remember I was at Notre Dame for a Carmelite seminar and when a group of us came back into the building from a walk, everyone was gathered around the television watching the live feed of the slow chase. I did not know that, in its own way, this was a sign of the end of civilization as we knew it.

A year or so later, I walked into the television room at the monastery in Brighton, Massachusetts one evening after dinner. People usually went up to watch the national news at that time. When I came through the door, I couldn't tell if they were watching the news about the Simpson murder trial or if they were watching Entertainment Tonight. The real news and the entertainment news had melted into one. That night it struck me that we had passed over a line of demarcation and that it was not good.

Of course, we now realize that most of what passes for news is entertainment or infotainment or, most often, misinfotainment. 
It was twenty years ago today
Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play,
They've been going in and out of style,
But they're guaranteed to raise the smile,
So may I introduce to you,
The act you've known for all these years,
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

We're Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
We hope you will enjoy the show
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Sit back and let the evening go
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely
Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

No comments: