Sunday, April 29, 2007

The eyes of Texas


I made it to Whitehouse a little before 5:00 p.m. on Saturday. It was a long drive and the novel-on-CDs that I brought ran out just south of Tyler, so that timed out just about perfectly.

Mama and Daddy were ready for dinner when I got here, so we went to the little Mexican place up by Brookshire's. One of my favorite things about a visit to Texas is a chance to get decent Mexican food.

I was exhausted and slept well, woke to a sunny and warm day. I went over to the early Mass at Prince of Peace and then remembered I didn't have a key to get back in the house. I left after the homily and got back just as the folks were leaving for church. Mama said she realized I didn't have a key and had left the front door open for me anyway.

I offered to make lunch, but instead she asked me to pick up Chinese at the deli at Brookshire's. She and Daddy eat so little it is amazing. When the waitress asked them last night if they wanted a box to take their leftovers home -- they each had left more than half what they were eating, and it wasn't much to begin with -- I told her I didn't know why they bothered to eat. All they do is dirty a plate.

No comments: