Sunday, April 22, 2007

Milwaukee and woozy

As I suspected, our visit to Milwaukee included driving Bob around to point out new construction and eating at the Maharajah. It was a gorgeous day, and we also took him to have his glasses adjusted at a nice mall/shopping area in one of the ritzier parts of town.

Unfortunately for me, one of the beta blockers I take has a side effect of making me light-headed and dizzy if I am out in the sun too much. I thought I was well protected -- baseball cap, sunglasses, long sleeve shirt. But mid-afternoon, while we sat out having cokes at a sidewalk cafe near Bob's house, the wooziness started coming on. When we got back home, I lay down and read before finally falling asleep. This morning I am better but still a little wobbly.

We had planned to go to the opening of the Leopold Legacy Center today -- in honor of legendary environmentalist Aldo Leopold, author of A Sand County Almanac, who lived near here and died in 1948. We know Homer Daehn, the artist who designed the beautiful bronze portrait of Leopold for the place. I couldn't find a photo of that to post, but that is a picture of Homer with one of the horses he carved. His studio in Baraboo is a block from where I work. He does a lot of the restoration work on the Circus World Museum's artifacts.

I don't think I am going to risk going anywhere today unless I am fully recovered from yesterday. Tom is going litter-picking along the road with our neighbors, Peggy and Rich. There is not a whole lot of traffic along Berry Road, but it seems to be a favorite place to toss out bottles and cans. Tom told Peggy I am just looking for a way to get out of picking up trash.

It's not fair that going outside in nice weather should be such a problem! Even if it does get me out of litter patrol.

1 comment:

Ted B said...

Beta Blockers also have the side effect of causing Short Term Memory loss. I forget how I know that.