Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Preparations

I have called in my prescriptions and went by the library to get a book-on-CD's to listen to on my trip. I wanted something nonfiction, but neither the Baraboo nor the Dells library had anything worth taking. I wound up getting this novel by Bernard Cornwall. I am interested in Stonehenge, but the main thing it has going for it is that the CD's last 16 and a half hours -- almost exactly the entire driving time from here to Whitehouse. It makes the time go faster and I am not always moving in and out of radio station range.

The car doesn't have a cassette player -- fewer and fewer do these days -- but the libraries haven't yet begun to get a lot of books on CD, although they have tons of things on cassettes. And, naturally, I would rather check it out than invest my own money!

Last fall when I was in Texas, I bought a couple of CD books at a used book store in Tyler. I will have to try them again. One was on the six queens of Henry VIII and the other was a history of Jersualem by Karen Armstrong. I have read a number of her books on Islam, the history of monotheism and Buddhism, and I enjoyed the audio book a lot. She is a former Catholic teaching sister who does a lot of religious programming for BBC.

After I got home from work I dog-sat for our neighbors across the street and waited to let the electricians in. Peggy had to take one of the dogs to the vet and Rich wasn't home yet. They are very friendly, and Tom frequently takes care of their dogs. He was out shopping, though, so I inherited Ivy this time. She is a hyperactive little poodle. I was happy when Rich came in.

Now if I can just get the prescriptions during the brief window of time between when they say they will be ready and the pharmacy closing...

No comments: