Monday, October 22, 2007

The San Francisco treat

Recently I got an email from Kristin that instructed me to send recipes and then to forward the message to twenty other people, promising I would get at least thirty recipes back. (Okay, that's not it exactly, but you get the idea. In fact, you probbly got the same email. I know Tom got it from Chris Kimball's wife a week or two before I got mine.)

I explained to Kristin that I don't like getting these things -- turns out they sometimes carry viruses picked up as they move through computers all over the place, and Tom once spent all day rebuilding my hard drive as a result -- and was not planning to pass it on. I did send her a couple of recipes, though.

I saw today that one of the co-inventors of Rice-a-Roni just died. Turns out that he and his brothers created that product based on a recipe one of their wives got from a landlady.

So who knows what treasures might have lurked in my email box if I had only done what I was asked!

I used to love the Mexican version of Rice-a-Roni when I was in high school and making my own dinner before going to work at night at the drive-in. I would make a box and eat the entire thing myself, if memory serves. According to their nutrition information, that was only two servings at 250 calories each. Not too bad, really, considering what a nightmare that Snicker's bar turned out to be. It had to be healthier than that.

I used to make an eat an entire box of Noodles Romanoff, too, and I suspect the fat and socium contents would have been through the roof. I don't know if they even make it anymore. Sure was tasty, though.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

You know, I did that stupid thing and only got like 3 recipes.

???

Liars.