Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Cateyes and other things

As I mentioned, Sundance seemed to have something wrong with her eye -- she has had this problem before -- so yesterday I called to make an appointment with the vet to see her this afternoon. Then last night, she looked much better and we thought maybe it wouldn't be necessary.

This morning Tom thought maybe it wasn't better, so I planned to take her at 2:45. When I brought the carrier up from the basement, she sniffed it and disappeared. I was wondering if she had run away, but I eventually found her hiding under my bed. Around lunch time she came out and her eye looked almost perfect, leading me to call and cancel the appointment.

Now, of course, several hours later, the eye looks less than perfect again. Not terrible, and definitely better than a couple of days ago. But still ...

There were no other appointments available today, and tomorrow and Friday Tom and I both are busy all day. We will keep putting the ointment on her eye (or trying to, at least) and hope it keeps getting better.

I wish I knew why it can look fine for a while and then look messed up. It is the third eyelid (the nictitating membrane) that is the problem, and it seems to not open fully all the time. When it does open, the eye looks good. Then it will not open all the way for a while. According to what I have read, this means the cat is sick. Or sometimes it doesn't mean anything. The only way to find out is to get her to the vet.

She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms. Tom says she is sleeping a lot, but -- hey! She's a cat. That's their job.

Sigh.

I think this is the feline equivalent to that funny noise your car makes until you take it to the garage for repairs. Then the problem disappears.

Oh, there was another frog on the rug this morning -- this one dead. And a wild turkey ran through the back yard while I was having breakfast. Yesterday I kept hearing a skritch-skratchy noise like a mouse, but I could never find it. This morning there was a fat little one in the trap behind the bookcase in the library. And that's the critter report.

No comments: