Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fourth: A Recap

We had a very busy day at the railway -- the busiest Fourth of July in memory. We are not sure why, but a number of factors probably worked together. The weather was beautiful, sunny and dry. The mosquito problem has diminished, even if it has not disappeared. Lots of people seem to be doing things locally rather than drive far away for the holiday, but the fact that this is an actual three-day weekend meant that the tourist population was great by comparison to recent weeks.

My flag tie was a big hit.

After a long day at the shop, I went to the picnic for the volunteers and employees. Tom and Tim Dodd (who had marched in the Witwen Fourth of July Parade in the morning) also came, and a good time was had by all. I had deviled eggs for the first time in a long time, and my first watermelon of the year.

I called Mama and Daddy to wish them a happy Fourth, too. I hope all the Dodds had a good day. I still remember all the Fourths we spent at Daddy Dodd's lake when I was a kid , a sort of family reunion in honor of Mama Dodd's birthday as much as the Fourth as a holiday. Usually that meant the first serious sunburn of the year.

Tim and Tom hit the fireworks in Reedsburg, but I was tired and let them go alone. I was in bed soon after nine and I could hear the fireworks up on Christmas Mountain. But I was comfortable and soon asleep.

Thus endeth the reading.

No comments: