Monday, August 4, 2008

Moist Monday

A little before four a.m. a strong thunderstorm came through, and we had constant lightning and rolling thunder for about an hour. Fortunately we had no loss of power, but it did pretty well mean no more sleep for me. We needed a bit of rain, though, so I was grateful for that.

When the weather is rainy or threatening, some of the waterparks don't even open. So that means people are looking for alternative activities. Rain itself is not a big problem for us, and as a result, our morning trains were quite full. But around noon another severe thunderstorm system moved through the area. Since our route is through a heavily wooded scenic area, we cannot run the trains when there is a danger of lightning strikes or high winds bringing trees down. So things screeched to a halt after the noon train. I piddled around doing stuff for a while, and then decided there was no reason for them to pay me to do nothing. I left a little before three to pick up some stuff to make dinner -- chicken taquitos -- and headed for home. They were able to do a bit of business after I left, but they didn't need me. Tom was conductoring for most of the day because our regular conductor, Jack Fleming, was out sick. That meant Tom had to stay until the final train ran at five o'clock.

I worked today so that I could be home tomorrow. Tom usually conductors on Tuesday, and Helen and Jay are due to pick up Buddy the Dog at some point tomorrow. So I will tend the home fires and the pets while Tom again regales the riders.

Peggy went to spend some time with Rich, who is working in Canada. Her brother is housesitting for her and tending the dogs, but due to a recent accident cannot drive. Rich and he were unable to get his internet connection working, so now Tom may go over to try to get that hooked up tonight. My part of helping out consists of checking on their mailbox in Baraboo every Wednesday when I normally go over there anyway. I will give it to Butch (the brother) to forward on with anything that has come to the house.

So goes life in The Waterpark Capital of the World!

No comments: