Thursday, June 11, 2009

Gratian book review

I found this unsolicited review of Jerome Gratian: Treatise on Melancholy online:
Gives insight into this interesting person5

It is probably true that only people that have already heard a little about Jerome Gratian will find this little book interesting. He was one of the early founders of the male branch of the discalced Carmelites, trusted and deeply appreciated by Saint Teresa of Avila and her nuns, yet mistrusted and ultimately cast out by his fellow Carmelite men.

This has always been a bit of an historical mystery. Only recently was he "rehabilitated," so to speak, and it looks like he may be on the way to canonization, due to his suffering and perseverance.

But I never thought that he might have a sense of humor! Of all the items to translate, at first I wondered why this little piece of amusing silliness -- a proposed "rule" or "constitutions" that parody religious life. It is like "opposite day" in children's books. Everything you would want in a religious person, the exact opposite is called for here.

After I thought about it for awhile, it occurred to me that maybe a bit of humor is actually the perfect item to translate. It sets the stage for a more serious look at Gratian, but first gives us a very human perspective, and a window into why his friends may have found him pleasant company.

I think any person interested in Carmelite studies would find this book worth their time.
The reviewer is a woman in Pearland, TX, but not someone I know. She did not review my mystery, but she did rate it five stars on her review page.

And yes, I did add the Genius image, but just to grab your attention.

You believe me, right?

No comments: