Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thursday's child has far to go.

I am a Friday's child ["Loving and giving"], but today is Thursday, hence the title.

Got up this morning and completed a couple of things for the procedures manual at work, printed them out and headed to a meeting in Reedsburg. After the meeting, I dropped the texts off at the R&GN (today is one of my free days) and headed home. Tom had gone canoeing with Debbie, so I did laundry and shampooed the dining room rug and vacuumed it and the rugs in the living room and library.

I went out front to take a few pictures of the sidewalk garden so you can see how it looks now. The first one is of the corner where the sidewalk comes around from the garage to the front door.


This next one is the same area but viewed from the front and facing the house.


This last one is of the corner near the house, under Tom's office window. That is the wall to the garage in the background. The color is washed out in the picture, but it is actually quite pretty.


Nice huh? Tom has put a lot of work into it, and Peggy has given us plants. Others Tom brought from his Chicago home, I brought some daylilies (not yet in bloom) from Mama's yard and Helen has helped out. Tom has done major work on the back yard, too, but it is not ready to photograph. He has replaced some of the wildflower garden space (which had begun to simply be wild) with shrubbery. It will take a couple of years or so for that to begin to look like anything, he says.

After lunch, I went to the bank to deposit a couple of checks that came in the mail and then off to the library for my volunteer work in the afternoon.

Today was the last day at Kilbourn Public Library for Stephanie, a high school girl who has been working there on a work-study program. She has always been there on Thursdays at the same time I am, so I will miss her smile. The librarians had a little ice cream and cake party for her, which was very nice. Steph, I think, has cerebral palsy and is in a powered wheel chair, but she is quite adept at lots of things in the library, and she has a great spirit.

No comments: