Saturday, July 25, 2009

Wills & Grace

A number of circumstances -- possible changes in Wisconsin legislation, having two friends with a parent in hospice, visits from Tom's children, etc. -- have caused us to look at things like making wills and other legal documents about end-of-life issues.

This is one of the places where being poor makes life much simpler. I own no real estate, no automobile, nothing of any size or value to worry about. Besides my "personal effects" -- and who really wants an old laptop or a bunch of clothes that I bought from thrift stores to start with or the sorts of books accumulating on my bookshelves? -- there is a small amount of cash. The money in CDs can simply be assigned directly to a beneficiary and not have to go into a will process at all. The checking and money market accounts can be turned into joint accounts, meaning the other signatory can get the money out just by showing up with my death certificate. As for the rights to any royalties -- as if! -- from my books after my death, that money goes directly into the checking account, and I suppose the signatory could just keep it open -- there is no charge -- and take any tiny amount out that ever shows up. I will probably make a simple will, just to make sure there are no loose ends. But it is simple and I don't think anyone will want to fight over the small amount of cash or the twice-used clothes in the closet.

Tom, of course, is having to deal with more complications. He does own property and vehicles, has money in an IRA, has four children (and others) who will likely survive him and so on. Of course, he is/was a lawyer, which one would think would make this simpler. But it just seems to make him see all the possible permutations for which his will must (could) provide or address.

Sometimes, it is a grace to be poor!

2 comments:

Sunny said...

I've never looked at being poor in that light- but even so- I know for a fact there are certain things I own that certain people would want purely for sentimental reasons. Just like me........when my daddy passed away, I asked for one thing- one of his white handkerchiefs that he carried around with him. I asked mom before the family visitation when we(my sisters and I) were helping her get dressed and she went and got one for each of us and one for my brothers as well. They were well used that day, at the funeral, and for the months that followed.
Mom said she never dreamed we would have wanted something as simple as that and would have donated them to charity if I hadn't spoken up.
Months later she asked me if there was anything else of Dad's I would like to have, and I told her if it hadn't been promised already- I would like to have either his RailRoad Pocket-watch, or his Glock. I remember him wearing that pocketwatch all his years of working for Norfolk-Southern & Amtrack, but mom said he had given it away himself years before, so i got the Glock- the only weapon I outshot my Dad with- and he was PROUD of me for doing it!
Of my Grandmothers- I have a small locket and believe it or not- a yellow and white porcelain light switchplate that was in her bedroom. Small thingsmean so much.
Something as simple as ...oh, say, a certain style cap you might wear regularly, or a favorite flannel shirt or sweater......small things mean the most, sometimes. If you have anyone special in your life that you would like to know about- sit down one day and have a innocent chat with them about any small thing that reminds them of you.....

Kristin said...

Vicnent & I have a VERY detailed will. It leaves no questions unanswered. My brother is the executor and my niece and nephew are the beneficiaries (up until I have kids, of course).

I would want something sentimental of yours. Something that would mean nothing to anyone but me.