Thursday, November 11, 2010

Angry speech

I saw a quote the other day -- can't remember from whom -- that went something like, "Speak in anger and you will give the best speech you will ever regret."

In Twelve Step programs they talk about exercising restraint of tongue and pen. I have to admit that I have started to write about many things that make me angry and then come to my senses before putting them out there for anyone to see. As they say, the internet is forever. Anyway, this is not a place for me to express anger and certainly not a place to generate conflict by expressing my opinions about all sorts of things.

I do want to confess, though, that yesterday I snapped at someone about something that was not really all that important. I apologized immediately and she assured me it was no big deal. But I felt bad anyway, partly because I am sure the anger was misdirected. I was not mad at her -- she just happened to be sitting there when the anger overflowed.

Not anything I am proud of, that's for sure.

I had a chat with Barry about it today. As he pointed out, there are things I can do nothing about -- we are very big on the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, you know -- but that doesn't mean I don't have feelings about them. Strong feelings, even.

So it seems I need to find some appropriate time/place/manner to express those feelings. Otherwise I can lash out at totally innocent bystanders.

A co-worker yesterday was sharing her frustration about something at work. After I said something about that situation, she laughed and told me that that I always find a very polite way to put things. I told her that actually I am a bit like Dr. David Banner on the old Incredible Hulk program. In the opening credits, Bill Bixby -- as Banner -- says, "Don't get me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

I don't turn green, but ...

1 comment:

Sunny said...

LOL- Been there, done that!! Honestly- it takes a special kind of person to know they were wrong and apologize too.
There are good people in the world. There really ARE!!!