Thursday, November 4, 2010

Oh, Canada!

Rich and Peggy are in Canada for a few months (?) for Rich's work. They took their dog, but Tom and I (way mostly Tom) are taking care of Miss Molly the cat and tending other odds and ends for them while they are away.

Speaking of Canada, I heard recently that if you have $50,000 and a graduate degree, you can expedite the immigration process. Well, IM-migration to Canada, E-migration from elsewhere. Supposedly the same for almost any Commonwealth nation. I had thought about moving to Canada after I left the monastery, but I figured I was too old and too poor to do it. Of course, now I might be able to afford it. Not sure if that means it would COST you $50,000 up front, 'cause that would be way over the top! I assumed from the way the guy said it that you needed to prove you had that amount of cash to show that you were not going to become a drain on the local economy. But who knows? Not that I am likely to move even further north ...

On the other hand, I have a friend (US citizen) who is married to someone from the UK, and they want to move back to his home country. She is finding it a struggle to get a visa, even though her husband is a UK citizen. So be sure and do your research people! And say a prayer for my friend and her husband.

No comments: