Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Passing

You may notice a comment on the previous blog about the funeral of Fr. Redemptus Short, OCD. Although I had not heard that he had died (thank you for the update, Elizabeth), I was thinking about him yesterday. That is because it was the feast of his patron saint. Here is a brief note about Redemptus and his companion.

Blessed Denis & Redemptus - Martyrs (1638): Denis of the Nativity, priest, whose secular name was Pierre Berthelot, was born at Honfleur (France) in 1600. He was cartographer and naval commander in the service of the French and Portuguese crowns, but in 1635 became a Discaled Carmelite at Goa. It was also at Goa that Thomas Rodriguez da Cunha, born in Portugal in 1598, had been professed as a lay brother under the name of Redemptus of the Cross in 1615. They were sent together to Sumatra, where they were martyred on November 29, 1638 at Achen.

Fr. Redemptus was, I believe, the oldest friar in the Province. He was a very compassionate man and much beloved by many people. I used to say that when he died, we would have to have the funeral in the Milwaukee Brewer's stadium to accommodate all the people who would want to be there.

May his soul, and the soul of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God rest in peace.

2 comments:

Joseph said...

I do appreciate your announcements, as sometimes your posts are the only way I find out such information, especially with Fr. Matthias, which I was very sad to hear about. I just recently learned from Br. Bryan that Fr. Ted has passed away recently as well. It was somewhat of a relief, he said, given Fr. Ted's advanced stage of Alzheimer's.

Michael Dodd said...

I had not heard about Ted, so I thank you for that update. I did know that his situation was very sad.