Monday, September 15, 2014

Birthdays

Today (September 15) is the birthday of Prince Henry of Wales, affectionately known as Prince Harry. He turns a royal 30.

Today is also our friend John's birthday, and he is a prince of a guy himself.

Yesterday (September 14) was my uncle Rayburn's birthday, my mother's late brother and the father of my writer-cousin, Rusty, whom I have mentioned here.

Tomorrow (September 16) is Tom's birthday, but he wants nothing said about that, so you didn't hear it from me.

Wednesday (September 17) is my father's birthday. He would have been 93 this year.

It is also the birthday of Jason, a prince of a guy who used to be married to one of my princess nieces and is the father of one of my great-nephews.

I note that in America the usage is tending toward grand-nephew. Since I assume both Jackson Kirk and Patton Griswold are great AND grand, either term will do. And no one seems to be suggesting yet that I be called a grand-uncle, so I guess I remain a great-uncle. In all humility, of course.

At any rate, whatever the usage, a happy birthday to one and all who celebrate their own birthday or that of a loved one during these September days!

No comments: