Sunday, September 28, 2014

Travel complications:, UPDATE

I am trying to work out a good time to visit my family in Texas next month. It seemed like a simple plan. I would drive to Whitehouse (two-day trip), rest a day, then drive my mother to Borger on Friday (eight-hour drive) for a weekend visit with my brother's family -- wife, adult children, their spouses and kids, have Saturday to visit everyone and then drive back eight hours on Sunday to Whitehouse. Recuperate for a couple of days, then head back to Wisconsin (two-day trip) before the weather gets iffy.

Lots of driving, but since I don't have to work, should be easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Right?

This weekend not going to happen because we have a house guest. I need to do the meals each night because Tom and John will be putting in a hard day working on track at the little railroad. And I am waiting for a package to arrive that I plan to take to my mother, anyway.

That leaves three perfectly good weekends in October : 10-11-12, 17-18-19, 24-25-26.

My brother has medical appointments on two of those Saturdays and his son et famille will be out of town one of them. We agreed that the weekend of October 11 would work best. I would leave on October 7, arrive at Whitehouse on the 8th, rest a day and then start the Texas phase of the journey.

Until Tom reminded me that he has a medical procedure in Baraboo on October 10 and I need to be here to provide rides to and fro.

And because I work the polls for November, going in November gets pushed back a bit and suddenly a trip I had planned to take in early October is turning into mid-November.

We are working on it. It is not impossible to take care of all this, but I should have known that something was amiss when the first plan came together so easily. [There actually is a simple solution.]


UPDATE: And we got that resolved. Hurrah! I will leave for Texas October 13 or so, have a chance to see my family and then return to the Dells around October 23 or 24.

No comments: