Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Back to the birds

Driving up through Illinois on Monday, I saw a large bird perched in a tree beside the interstate. I assumed it was a hawk, having seen so many of those on my travels, but as I got closer I saw it was a Great Horned Owl. Pretty cool! I have seen a couple of them up here, and our bird book says their hearing is so good they can hear the sound of a mouse through a foot of snow. Since it was snowy, maybe that's what he was listening for.

This morning Woody the Pileated Woodpecker was back. Tom says he's been hanging out in a poplar in the back for a while. Not sure why, but it is fun to see that huge bird up close.
---------------
The Owl and Woodpecker book tells a traditional Navajo folk tale about the woodpecker coming to the aid of animals who are frightened by the nightly hunts of the owl.

No comments: