Tuesday, January 1, 2008

January 1, 2008

Yes, the day/month/year began with snow, but I won't say any more about that. (This time.)

Tim Dodd's short and pleasant visit last night began with some excitement. He called about 4:30 to announce that he had pulled into a drive to turn around and managed to get himself stuck on a mound of ice. It wasn't far away, but we wound up having to call in Rich's truck to help get him off. No damage to the vehicle, and it only ate up about a half hour of time.

The cats and dog began the new year in total pet-me-and-not-the-other-guy mode. I think being cooped up in the house most of the day because of the White Stuff That Must Not Be Named is getting to them, too. Tom, Peter and I drove into Portage Sunday afternoon to get some income tax software, just an excuse to get out of the house.

The new year also began with me cleaning out the kitty litter boxes -- the one in the laundry room and the one in the garage. I do this on a daily basis, and I can tell when the cats are not getting to go outside. It is amazing how much waste two cats can produce. Fortunately Buddy the Dog still visits the outdoors to do his business, no matter what the weather. When the White Stuff That Must Not Be Named melts in the front yard, I don't even want to think about what we will find, though.

I have the black eye peas simmering in preparation for being turned into New Year's Black Eye Peas later. Vince, does Boston Market have black eye peas? Hoppin' John? Any of the necessities for a Texas New Years meal? I can't remember what the one in Hyde Park had, because I usually just ate a salad when I was there. But given the large black population of the neighborhood, they may well have had black eye peas, cornbread and maybe even greens of some sort other than spinach. Love black eye peas and cornbread; you are welcome to my share of the greens, even though I read that you are supposed to eat them to guarantee you will make lots of money. (Folding green, get it?) Maybe that is why I am not rich -- never ate enough turnip greens or collard greens or ... Although I do consume my share of lettuce, which ought to count for something.

No comments: