Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Divinity

For some reason -- I suppose because the family orientation of Dells attractions means lots of children -- Wisconsin Dells is full of candy shops and fudge places. Sometimes when Helen visits, we stop at one of these places and get some fudge. I asked her once if she had ever had divinity, one of my favorite childhood party treats, and she was not familiar with it. Since then I have looked for easy recipes -- pretty much NOT happening -- and asked in the stores, because I never see it among the many taste choices. I assumed it was just a southern thing.

Today one of the people at Grandma's Homemade Fudge told me that they can't make it there because it gets stiff too fast. They used to order it, but since Katrina, they haven't been able to find a supplier.

So I guess it is a southern thing after all.

I did find a recipe online that I will give a shot. The problem is these things make like five or six dozen -- and I really don't know what I will do with sixty or seventy pieces of divinity! Maybe I'll hold off until Christmas, and if it turns out okay, I can add it to the boxes of homemade candy we give to the neighbors.

You know, maybe Kristin is right. It is a quaint sort of life.

No comments: