Saturday, October 11, 2008

Whoosh!

I am pooped. We did an incredible amount of business at the railway today, what with great weather, free pumpkins and something of a holiday weekend (Columbus Day on Monday). I won't say how much exactly, but we did more than twice what we normally consider an excellent day, ran 14 trains instead of the normal seven and had only one empty seat the entire day.

This after a long day on Friday,driving to the Hill and back -- a bit over two hours each way -- having a great lunch with Jude and catching up on the Carmelites. Then I had a nice hour and a half visit with an elderly friend who is remarkably upbeat despite the beginnings of dementia. I was saddened to learn that she feels pressured politically in her home parish, though, to vote contrary to her own sense of what is right. I understand how she feels, so we condoled with one another.

Tom's daughter Lucy and her roller derby friends came in last night in time for dinner, and today they did well in their first round of the tournament. They had to go back to play again tonight, and they may make it into the championship round tomorrow afternoon. If they do, Tom will go to Madison for that. I will be at the railway all day, and probably on Monday, because we will be open because of the holiday. Monday I will also be helping train a new volunteer to help in the store.

Tonight we have to go over to Rich and Peggy's to get final instructions on how to handle the house-sitting while they are in Canada for the next month or so.

And then I really am going to collapse!

No comments: