Friday, October 24, 2008

Gobble and winterizing

Since a group of geese is a gaggle, I am going to say that a gobble of turkeys was prowling around the backyard this morning. There were ten of them, all adults or near-adults and all not particularly lovely in the rainy light.

The wild turkey hunting season in Wisconsin began in September and extends up until the week before Thanksgiving Day. I don't know if the turkeys were here because they know it is safe from hunters or just because they remember from last year that the ground around the bird feeders is covered with fallen seeds.

I wanted to get a photo of them, but they are skittish and could hear the deck door opening. For ungainly birds, they do run pretty fast.

Speaking of Turkey Trots, I ran in the one at St. Louis University back in 1984 when I was studying there. It was only three miles as I recall, but I made it alive and in one piece.

PS -- I received a Hallmark e-card that will not open. So if one of you sent it, thanks for the thought but I don't know who it was. I'll keep trying. (See, Mama, you're not the only one this happens to!)

PPS -- Yesterday I got my teeth cleaned and my flu shot. I need to make an appointment with my regular doctor soon for a check-up and prescription renewals. I need to get the oil changed in the Vibe soon, too. Just getting all winterized. Tom brought up his winter clothes from the basement yesterday. I have the master bedroom with the big walk-in closet, so I don't have to store things downstairs.

Tom also put the guidepost thingees out along the driveway. The little orange posts indicate where the drive and parking area are when the ground is covered with snow. We may get some snow this weekend, although it shouldn't amount to anything.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

"thingees". I love it.

Um...I did not send the ecard. I am a bum that way.