Monday, February 22, 2010

Noko?

Ashley (and Peter) got a puppy today, a Huskie (mix?) born in November. They were discussing the name and that went all over the place. I googled some Native American names, suggested Paphnutius (a holy Egyptian monk of the fourth century) and other improbable things. Tom was pushing for Schlomo. Last I heard it might by Noko (short for Innoko, the wilderness through which the Iditarod dogs race).

At any rate, Tom and I tried to get photos, and I think Tom had better luck. That's his photo above. Ashley finally held him up for me to get a close-up, insisting that I crop her out of the picture. As you can see, Noko (or Whoever) was not all that happy to have his photo taken. That was one reason I suggested a Native American name -- some traditional tribesfolk don't like to be photographed. He was a totally calm puppy, though, and very quiet. (The cats, needless to say, disappeared into the basement as soon as the pup appeared on the scene.) He has those lovely ice-blue eyes, which I understand often are linked to poor eyesight.

I also suggested to Ashley that they put him in the middle of a room and four or five people could stand around, calling out different names. When he responded to one, that would be his name. She is a friendly young woman and smiled kindly, but she clearly thought this was not a good idea.

BTW, if you are worried about the cats, I believe He-Who-Must-Not-Yet-Be-Named will be living mostly at Ashley's for now. I told Sundance that a new puppy doesn't mean we don't still love her, but she looked totally skeptical about my explanation.

2 comments:

Vincent said...

This is my most favorite breed of dog. I grew up with a Malamute named Kilo. Kilo was a great dog and he was the inspiration behind me getting my Shiba Inu, Bella. i love the name Noko

Kristin said...

$20 says it doesn't matter how big he is, Sundance can take him!