Wednesday, October 6, 2010

BOOKMOBILE! MIKE! TIES!

On Wednesday mornings, I take the Bookmobile to the Ho-Chunk Headstart program. There are from 15 to 20 kids there each week, and each one gets to pick a book from a selection I bring in from the library.

Last week, when I came through the door, they all shouted, "Hello! Hello! Hello!"

Ivana, the Polish lady who runs the place (A Polish lady teaching Native American kids is very Wisconsin Dells!), asked, "What is he bringing?"

"Books!" they cried enthusiastically.

"And what is his name?" she prompted.

"Bookmobile!" they yelled in a single voice.

"No," Ivana told them, "it's Mike."

So this morning when I went in, everyone said hello and several said, "Hi, Mike."

Ivana was delighted that they remembered, and I was pleased, too.

Later I heard one of the little girls telling a teacher, "I like Mike."

The teacher made sure I was listening, and she asked, "You like Mike?"

"I like his ties," the little girl confided.

As it turns out, I was wearing this little Dalmatian puppy number this morning. And I do admit I choose my tie carefully on days I am going over there. Whatever it takes to make the audience happy, right?

No comments: