Friday, October 1, 2010

Feasts, joys and sadnesses

Wednesday, September 29, was the Feast of the Archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael. My feastday, as it were.

My feastday gift arrived on Thursday in the persons of Justin, Angie and Riley Rae. passing through from a vacation in Minnesota on their way back to Texas. This was my first encounter with Riley, and naturally I think she is adorable. (Yes, Kirstin, I think Jackson is adorable, and yes, Kristin, I am sure I will think the same of Brinkley when we meet. I spent a lot of years in a monastery, so I am quite good atadoring.) As you can see, Miss Riley thought that our CD collection needed extensive re-organization. Tom had hauled up three bins full of stuffed animals and toys from the basement for her, but the CD cases were clearly her favorites.

We had a great meal and visit. I don't see most of my family all that often, them being in Texas and me in Wisconsin. It was good to catch up, and Tom was vastly entertained by hearing just how crazy the Dodd clan is. I told him it wasn't just me!

Friday, October 1 is my brother Ted's birthday -- a shout out to Ted B in Borger from all his fans in Wisconsin!

It is also the feast of St. Therese, a major figure in the Discalced Carmelite community to which I belonged for 30 years. (And, yes, Kristin, that is the saint of the moving statue.) This is normally a time of great celebration among the friars and nuns, but the joy is mixed with sadness this year because of the death of Fr. Matthias. He was only 75 and his death came unexpectedly. The wake will be on Sunday and the funeral on Monday at Holy Hill. He was greatly devoted to St.Therese and had studied her teachings for many years. This year he got to celebrate her feast in heaven.

Fr. Peter, another friar who has gone ahead of us, used to say that all guests give joy -- some when they arrive, others when they leave. Justin, Angie and Riley brought joy when they arrived to surprise me at the library and sadness when they had to leave the Dells so soon to get back home. May none of us ever be among those who give joy when we leave!

May Matthias's soul, and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Amen!

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Awww- that is so sweet!! Glad you had a good day.
I personally wouldn't have let the little one 'play/rearrange" my Cd's or DvDs tho- one scratch on them and they're toast.
But I love how you adore so many of the little ones that come to visit you and Tom!!!!

Cynthia Dodd said...

Sounds like you had a nice visit with Justin, Angie & Miss Riley. Looks like she rearranged your house like she does mine. She is a sweetheart and I look forward to her coming and rearranging my house anytime she wants.