Friday, October 8, 2010

For Sunny

The top of the bookcase in the library at our house:





This is the only indoor place with fall decorations. Growing up in Texas, I don't remember much decorating for autumn, perhaps because harvest had a different feel and meaning there. Here it is a big deal, even beyond the whole Halloween dimension.

Tom did the large painting. The icon of Christ the Teacher on the end there was made for his reception into the Catholic Church. As for the oil lamps, we lose power often enough during storms to make it worth having a bunch loaded and ready.

3 comments:

Sunny said...

LOL- Owww- I LIKE personalized Posts done just for me!!! ;-)
Like you- I don't do much Autumn inside decorating. I have a nice handmade grapevine wreath for the front door (wrapped around a small sized hula-hoop!!!) and an autumn leaves garland woven into it. I may gather a few smallish branches with a few colorful leaves on it and a branch or two of Pyracantha to put in a vase or a small artificial pumpkin for the table if I'm feeling particularly arty, or if we want something for Sunday dinner table decorations. Other than that- i like my autumn things outside- where they look the best. Inside decorating is usually saved for CHRISTMAS!!! (LOl- you KNEW that was coming, didn't you??)
OMGosh- Tom is an AWESOME Artist!!!
I love love love that Big one over the book-case!!!
I would like Pumpkin Pie now, please.
;-)

Sunny said...

Hope y'all are taking full advantage of your autumn, Michael......Our color is just starting down here in SC.

Have you ever been to the Blue Ridge Parkway in Autumn? Y'all should take a trip and see it mid October if you haven't.

Michael Dodd said...

We had a brief but intense rainstorm last week that knocked a lot of leaves off and the reds have turned to rust and brown. Kathie said maybe one reason we love fall so much is that the beauty is so fleeting.

I would love to see the Blue Ridge Parkway in any season someday. I'll add it to my to-do list.