Saturday, October 2, 2010

Weekend Update [UPDATED!]

1) For those of you who may have been concerned, the CD collection is back in place -- and actually in order! Before Riley's recent intervention, we had just been tucking CDs back into any convenient empty spot, so this was a good opportunity for Tom (who contends that I am the compulsive one) to put things back into a logical arrangement. (Lawyers!)

2) Right now it is almost noon, sunny,windy and 48 outside (8.9 C). The windchill is 44 (6.67 C) Tonight we expect to hit freezing for the first time this season. At least there is no snow in the forecast for the coming week.

3) Tom and I have been pretty regular about the low glycemic eating, and I have lost another few pounds. Now the problem is most of my pants want to slide down. I have some of those things that let you adjust the waist size, because I don't want to invest in a new wardrobe until I am convinced it is going to last long enough to justify it. Meanwhile, we can vouch for the value of the South Beach diet as a starter and low glycemic as a way to go. I have been at it long enough now that I find myself bringing home leftovers when we eat out, and I don't have cravings for stuff I am supposed to avoid anyway. I won't say I never WANT any of them, but it is easier to make the better choice. At any rate, our doctor is pleased with the results, and we all know it is about making him happy.

4) For some reason my cell phone has deactivated. It is a pay-as-you-go thing for emergency use (and for finding Tom when he wanders away at Walmart), and the screen says I have 963.5 units (minutes) left and I am good until December 19. But if I try to use it, I only get a message about making collect calls. Tech support has only been able to say that I would have to buy more minutes for them to reactivate the thing, but I don't see why it should cost me when I have nearly a thousand minutes and two and a half months coverage already paid for. We are still working on that. But for the moment, I am without cell phone. Of course, I managed for half a century quite well without one.

5) UPDATE: Book sales continue to trickle in, as I mentioned the other day. Not sure why. These are all generated by Amazon, not by me. My big hope is that some professor somewhere will discover one of the books and assign it to a class of 500 or so freshmen. Or maybe Oprah will pick one for her book club before she finally bows out. Not holding my breath on any of those. Tom's daughter Rebecca, who is a doctoral student at the Divinity School at the University of Chicago, did put in a plug with one of the folks there for the mystery as a relatively painless way to learn a bit about Carmel. And a couple of Carmelites told me that they have plugged the Elijah book on retreats, because they used the book for some of their material. So whoever's helping out there -- keep it up!

No comments: