Monday, December 23, 2013

Frito Pie

I was planning to make chicken enchiladas suizas for dinner Christmas Eve, but I mentioned Frito Pie jokingly and Tom and Peter outvoted me, demanding that I make it instead. If you are unfamiliar with this dish, here is something I found posted online.
This was a real favorite when I was a kid (yes, they had Fritos back then), and it still is. With the Frito-Lay Company being based in Dallas, this dish is about as Texan as you can get. We made this comfortably in a 9x9-inch pan, but you can easily double this and serve it to a crowd in a 9x13-inch pan.
  • 3 cups Fritos corn chips
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 2-1/2 cups chili (your favorite -- homemade, canned, whatever)
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Spread 2 cups of Fritos in a baking dish (an 8-inch dish works great). Sprinkle half the onion and half the cheese over the Fritos. Pour the chili over the onion and cheese. Sprinkle the remaining Fritos, onion and cheese over the chili.

Bake for 15 or 20 minutes and cheese is bubbly. Serve hot.

Prep time: 5 minutes; Cooking time: 15-20 minutes; Total time: 20 minutes
I have to admit it is a lot less trouble than the chicken enchiladas and quite tasty, because it contains a year's supply of sodium! At any rate, that's what the people wanted, and that's what they are going to get. Yee, as we say in Texas, haw!

2 comments:

Robert said...

Give me Frito Pie or a Walking Taco (single serve bag of Doritos filled with seasoned ground beef and your favorite taco topping) and I'm a happy man. :-)

Michael Dodd said...

At my first job (a drive-in theater snack bar) Frito Pies were a popular item. We made them the way folks here in Wisconsin make Walking Tacos, only using single serve bags of Fritos, of course. This was so long ago that I think we only charged something like fifteen cents for them. And worth every penny!