Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Just sayin' a bit more

What I did not mention in my earlier post about health insurance is that I will still be paying over $6,000 a year for insurance. And I will have to meet a $5,000 deductible before the insurance will kick in. So I pay $6,000 that does not directly pay for any health care for me at all. After I have paid another $5,000 for actual health care, then the insurance company will start paying.

Had the Affordable Care Act not been passed, for the same coverage I would have had to pay $12,000 and meet the same $5,000 deductible. Also, I would not have been able to keep the same company and would probably have had to change providers and travel further for care. And I would have been out $17,000 before seeing a penny in return.

I should mention that because of the Affordable Care Act, I could have chosen a less expensive plan. I chose the one I did because it enabled me to keep my current local care providers -- but I can only get sick in three counties in Wisconsin. If I need health care outside of those three counties, I will only be eligible for insurance reimbursement for verified emergency room care or for reduced reimbursements for specialized treatments not available in Sauk, Dane or Rock Counties. Which will cost a fortune, of course.

And that is what you get for $6,000 + $5,000 a year.


Stay well, everyone!

No comments: