Friday, December 13, 2013

The End of the World As We Know It!


There is a never-ending business in predicting the end of the world, of course. And that business will never end, I guess, until the world does. It used to be mainly religious folk who got caught up in this, but lately it seems to me lots of political figures (I don't call them "leaders") like to predict the end of the world if _______________ (Fill in the blank as you wish.)
Meanwhile, I love this t-shirt and its many variations, here almost a year after the much-ballyhooed end of the world prediction credited to (or blamed on) the Mayans.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

I think we're pretty safe as long as someone is thinking. Doesnt the Bible say that no man knows, but God knows the exact moment it will happen?
So...as long as someone thinks they know(and I'm pretty sure someone-somewhere says it on a daily basis) then that day is defo NOT going to be the day.
It doesnt matter to me- I'm trying to live my life to the fullest anyway and be the best person I can be.
I'm ready.

Michael Dodd said...

The life-answer, of course, is the one you mention: live to the fullest and be the best person you can be.

I remember a Peanuts comic in which one of the characters (Linus?) said he no longer worried that the world might end today. When asked why, he said, "In some parts of the world, it is already tomorrow. So the world can't end today."

Makes as much sense as most of the predictions!