Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

That's the view from the deck this morning. Someone said that the best thing you can do about rain is let it rain. Here that applies to the snow. We had over six inches fall Saturday night and Sunday morning, followed by a couple more inches later Sunday night and Monday morning. We expect more to start tonight and get an additional two to four inches for Christmas morning.

Peter and Lucy are here; the rest of the crew should arrive middayish. Then two days of wrapping, cooking, unwrapping, eating, dishes, movies, cleaning, trying to sleep, packing, waving goodbye, all followed by collapsing. Somewhere in there Tom will probably be out shoveling snow or running the snow blower and the kids will go shooting into the snow. Puzzles will be assembled, sugar highs will be endured, spills and stains will create minor disturbances.

My mantra through it all, if I can hang onto it: May all be happy, may all be well, may all be safe.


"'Twas the day before Christmas, and all through the house,
Sundance was prowling, but finding no mouse.
Cassidy slept on my bed with a snore,
While Tom bundled up and pushed the snowblower.
Peter is lying all snug in his bed,
But Lucy is up and wants to be fed."

Sorry, that's all for now. Be grateful!

Oh, yeah. Did I mention it's 14 below? (-25.5 C) Seriously. Gonna warm up to 10 later, though. (That's -12.2 C for my European readers.)

2 comments:

Robert said...

It was -18 when I went to the gym this morning.

Yes, I went to the gym in a -33 wind chill.

I'm gonna call it dedication. Others would call it something that rhymes with "dinsanity". LOL

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Robert

Michael Dodd said...

Robert,

When I was a senior in high school who had grown up in East Texas, I went to East Lansing, MI in February to take a scholarship exam for Michigan State. I don't recall what the exact temperature was, but I had to walk from the dorm where I was staying for two or three blocks across an empty, windswept field to the testing site, wearing a long, unlined raincoat (my winter coat for Texas) and gloves -- no cap, no scarf. When I got there, they told us the wind chill was 33 below.

First of all, I had little idea what wind chill meant. Second, I wondered why I would think I could be happy going to school in such a place. But I did, and even came to enjoy winter. A bit. Since then I have lived through New England winters, Chicago winters, Wisconsin winters.

But after all, I survived many a Texas summer, too.