Friday, April 29, 2016

International Dance Day

International Dance Day was introduced in 1982 by the International Dance Council (CID, Conseil International de la Danse), a UNESCO partner NGO, and is celebrated yearly, on April 29. The main purpose of Dance Day events is to attract the attention of the wider public to the art of dance. Emphasis is given to addressing a new public, people who do not follow dance events during the course of the year.

I grew up in a religious tradition that frowned strongly on the evils of dance. There was a joke among the teenagers in the church: Christians should not have sex standing up, because there was always the danger that it could lead to dancing.

Like many beliefs of my youth and childhood, this is one I no longer hold. Although I no longer have many opportunities do dance myself, I periodically post something about this song, I Hope You Dance. Click and enjoy, and while you listen, I hope you dance.



No comments: