Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Critters in the News

Lest you think that I am exaggerating in my complaining about critters, the news has a story that nearby Rocky Arbor State Park is being closed down for ten days because it is being overrun by gypsy moth caterpillars. The picture is from the park -- I guess trees growing out of a rock make a rocky arbor.

Tom and Helen came into Baraboo today to take me to lunch, and my boss, Joe, went with us. Evelyn was taking her dad to visit her mother's grave, this being the anniversary of her death last year. Her dad's health is a matter of concern now, so keep him in your prayers. We ate at the little downtown Chinese buffet. The owner is a nice guy, but he recently lost his cook and the new one is still catching on, I think.

Today the next-to-last student got her paper to me and I graded and sent it back. The one remaining student is notorious for never finishing within the semester, so I am not surprised. He is a retired military officer who lives near Chicago but who owns a condo here in Wisconsin Dells. Last year he was offering all sorts of advice to help me find a job up here, so I appreciate his efforts anyway. He had some serious health problems this past winter, so I am sure that contributed to the delay.

With luck, we will be going to get a turtle sundae (or something like) at Culver's later this evening. Culver's is a Sauk County-based chain of frozen custard and hamburger joints. Last year the founders rode in the Fourth of July Parade, followed by flags from every state and country where they are located. I took a picture of the flag from Texas, so I know there's at least one down there somewhere. They are famous for their "butterburger", which is a hamburger made with meat cooked in butter. This is the quintessential non-kosher food item, becuase it comes very close to violating the biblical proscription in Exodus 34:26: "Do not cook a young goat in its mother's milk.""

No comments: