Saturday, June 23, 2007

Finally!


Carmelite Studies X
A Better Wine:
Essays Celebrating Kieran Kavanaugh, O.C.D.

Edited by Kevin Culligan, O.C.D.

Ten members of the Institute of Carmelite Studies contribute to this volume honoring their Carmelite brother and colleague, Father Kieran Kavanaugh. O.C.D. on his fifty years as a Catholic priest. The ten essays and their respective authors are as follows:


  • Jesus Christ, Friend and Liberator: The Christology of St. Teresa of Avila by Daniel Chowning, O.C.D.

  • Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair: An Interpretation of Chapter Fourteen of Book One of The Dark Night of St. John of the Cross by Marc Foley, O.C.D.
  • Jerome Gratian's Constituciones del Cerro: An Example of Teresian Humor
    by Michael Dodd
  • The Holy Spirit, Mary, and Thérèse of Lisieux by Emmanuel Sullivan, O.C.D.
    Blind Hope in Divine Mercy, by Chalres Niqueux; translated by
    Salvatore Sciurba, O.C.D.
  • "Something Surprising:" Reflections on the Proclamation of St. Thérèse as "Doctor of the Universal Church" by Steven Payne, O.C.D.
  • Two Concentration Camp Carmelites: St. Edith Stein and Père Jacques Bunel by John Sullivan, O.C.D.
  • Learning How to Meditate: Fifty Years in Carmel by Kevin Culligan, O.C.D.
  • The Contemporary Influence of the Carmelite Mystical School
    by Denis Read, O.C.D.
  • Afterword: The Third Millennium: St. John of the Cross and Interreligious Dialogue in Asia by William Johnston, S.J.
  • The Bibliography of Kieran Kavanaugh, O.C.D.
    Compiled by Regis Jordan, O.C.D.

  • I have been waiting for several years for this volume to appear. I finished the translation that is included about five years ago, and the volume was supposed to come out in 2003. I have been working on an article based on this translation, but I needed to wait until the translation came out before completing it. Now I can try to get that done. Depending on the response to the translation, I may even be able to convince the publisher to issue it with some additional material as a separate little book.

    You may notice that I am the only author not listed as "O.C.D", even though I am technically still a member of the community. At the time the editor asked me how to list me, I expected to have been formally released from the Carmelites, but my superiors decided not to do that at this time.

    PS -- I shouldn't complain about how long it took to get this published. One of the other authors, Fr. Denis Read, died in 2004.

    No comments: