Friday, June 29, 2007

Life in the fast lane

After Tom sat around all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday waiting for the electrician to show up to connect the central air, they finally appeared Thursday morning. Just in time, too. He had to attend a zoning hearing late morning that lasted most of the day. And naturally, the temperatures dropped into the upper forties last night...

The Cattus domesticus wisconsensis decided to prove she is a hunter and brought in a mouse to devour in the middle of the night. This morning in the middle of the living room we found a mouse head, one paw and a tail. After I got home I found Cassidy stalking a garter snake in the garage. At least she didn't bring it in.

Evelyn had court this morning, so Joe stayed with her dad. That meant I was able to spend all morning getting the bills out! I have probably mentioned before that I think the Screnocks are trying to run a full time law practice with a part time staff -- I know I have mentioned it to them -- but I don't want to work for them full time, and they don't seem inclined to look for someone full time or to cover the time I am not available.

Tom went into Milwaukee with a friend for a convention tonight, so I went into Reedsburg to get something to eat. Afterwards I went to the Pamida to kill some time. Pamida is a discount place, sort of a smaller-town Wal-Mart. Tom always calls it PrangeWay because that was the name of a store that used to be there. He's the kind of person who gives directions in terms of what things looked like forty years ago. He insists on calling the service station at the Lake Delton exit a Mobil station, even though it is clearly Shell. You know, the folks in Whitehouse who tell a newcomer to go down and turn left in front of where the Mercantile used to be...

Anywho, as Rusty would say, in the Pamida I found eight -- 8! -- pink flamingos like the ones Tom has been wanting. So I got them and set them up outside like they are coming out of the woods towards the drive. It should catch his eye (and poor Greg Sacra's) when they drive in tomorrow evening. Snort!

I also saw the elks on the way home. Add that to the two does with a buck who actually had real antlers that we saw last night on the way back from Tanger Outlets, and it's been another critter-ful day.

No comments: