Thursday, June 14, 2007

Sr. Carol Ann

I heard from my good friend Jeff Scheeler, the Franciscan priest I was in school with in St. Louis back in 1985, that our classmate in the Institute for Religious Formation, Sr. Carol Ann Sunderman died over the weekend. She was a great lady -- in more ways than one. She was over six feet tall. In the old habit, she looked like a giant! We had some great long walks and talks the year we studied together, with her towering over me, and she came to visit me once at Holy Hill.

Carol Ann had a kidney replaced a year or so back, but she developed colon cancer. She died on her 72nd birthday.

Say a prayer for her Franciscan sisters and her family. When we were all in St. Louis, one of her brothers invited all fifty of us over for a party at his house. It was a blast, if you can imagine fifty priests, brothers and nuns, ranging in age from 26 to 65, from twenty different countries.

I couldn't locate a picture of her, but the portrait is of their foundress, so that is what her habit looked like. By the time I knew her, of course, they didn't dress like that anymore. She'd have a fit that I posted this!

No comments: